MEMBER DIRECTORY
 
rotaryclubofbrighton | 1956 – 1965. The first decade.
3519
page-template-default,page,page-id-3519,page-child,parent-pageid-3317,ecwd-theme-satellite,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,smooth_scroll,

1956 – 1965. The first decade.

The first decade of the Rotary Club of Brighton was bookended by the first black student being

admitted to the University of Alabama and the Civil Rights Movement becoming a major national

force, and in between, Camelot’s brief, shining moment and the escalation of the quagmire that was

the Vietnam War. Not to mention the beginning of Camp Haccamo for physically and mentally

challenged children and adults, the first issue of the Club Bulletin, the “Brighton Rotarian, the

planting of trees at the Twelve Corners and East Avenue/Clover triangles, the first Club Dance, the

first Pancake Day, the first Children’s party and the first Gas Day, held at Jeff’s Texaco station.

1956-1957

1956_Yer_in_PoznanRAE CLARK was elected as first Club President.

CYRIL TUCKER was elected as Provisional Club President.

Charter Night was held at the Powers Hotel on September 4, 1956.

Twenty-two Charter members were inducted into Rotary by the sponsoring
Pittsford Club.

First Meetings were held at the Maplewood Inn, later moving to larger quarters
at the Brighton Bowl.

The club flag, for exchange with other Rotary Clubs, was designed by Cy Tucker.

Programs in the first year concentrated on Rotary Information so that members could appreciate and understand Rotary programs.

1957-1958

RAE CLARK was elected to a second term as Club President.

Camp Haccamo had its inaugural  year at the Rush Rifle Range with 19 physically and mentally disabled kids.

The first Bridge Party was promoted and run by Dr. Pete Petri.

maxresdefault1958-59

ANDREW MUNGO was elected as second Club President. However, he could not serve due to illness, and WILLIAM BRACKMAN was elected to serve in his stead.

The first issue of the club bulletin, “Brighton Rotarian,” was edited by Bill Safron.

Trees were planted at the Twelve Corners and East Avenue/Clover Triangles and decorated with lights at the holiday season.

The first Brighton Rotary Club Dance was held at the University Club.

The first Pancake Day was started to raise funds for Club projects, with Milt Matthews as Chair. 600 were served.

Twenty Brighton Rotarians attended the 33rd Annual Rochester Inter-City Dinner.

1959-1960

WILLIAM BROWN was elected third Club President.

The first Children’s Party was held at the Brighton Bowl during the holiday season.

Jim Clark entertained 50 handicapped children with Club members at his farm.

4,000 pancakes and 870 hungry souls were served at “Pancake Day.” Fifty Star Flags were sold by members to raise funds.

Bob Vincent, as “Santa Claus,” visited 62 children from the Day Care Center at Hyland Field— a first
Flying Santa.

Five Brighton Rotarians served as participants in “Student Career Night,” at Brighton High School.

john-f-kennedy-inauguration-19611960-1961

GORHAM L.D. BURNETT (Hamp) was elected fourth Club President.

The first Gas Day was held at Jeff’s Texaco Station. Milt Matthews, Chairman, had his “Gas Day” picture published in The Rotarian magazine.

Brighton High School students (guests during the year) took over one meeting and showed Club members their “style.”

Outstanding senior students in ten areas of learning received Rotary Award Citations, and a contribution was made in their names to the National Honor Society.

Contact was made with sister Clubs in Gloucester, Australia (New South Wales) and Brighton, England.

1961-1962

JAMES CLARK was elected fifth Club President.

A memorial Fund for William F. Brackman was established at Camp Haccamo.

300 seniors of Brighton High School attended the first “Senior Party” at the Monroe Country Club.

130 members of the Pittsford Rotary Club joined with Brighton Rotarians at the Spring House to celebrate the fifth anniversary of the Brighton Club.

The first Intra-Country Dinner was a big success, with T. H. Cashmore, Lord Bishop of Dunswick, England, as speaker.

Dr. Alice C. Foley received the first Annual Citizens Award.

1962-1963

GEORGE ANTHONY was elected sixth Club President.

The Senior Party was held at Irondequoit Country Club for Brighton High School students.

Land for a new and improved Camp Haccamo for physically and mentally disabled kids,behind Penfield Plaza, was donated by Emil Muller.

Bob Vincent promoted “plans” for the new Camp  and Don Hershey designed
camp facilities.

George Gordon received the Annual Citizens Award.

5,000 pancakes were served at Pancake Day. Sale of fruitcakes raised funds to help bring Dr. Mahandra Goel from Lucknow, India, to the University of Rochester Medical School.

A family picnic was held at Jim Clark’s farm.

 

main_12001963-1964

LEWIS E. SCHAUMAN was elected seventh Club President.

The Club participated in the Brighton Harvest Queen Festival.

Dr. Henry Crawford received the Annual Citizens Award.

International Night was held at the Brighton Presbyterian Church with an overseas guest.

A painting of President John Kennedy, reproduced on “Leaf of Peepul Tree,” was presented by Dr. M. Goel in appreciation for a year of study in orthopedics.

The Senior Party for Brighton High School students was held at Locust Hill
Country Club.

HACCAMO-CONSTRUCTION

Construction is underway on the main building at Camp Haccamo.

Construction was underway at Camp Haccamo, behind Penfield Plaza.

1964-1965

CYRIL TUCKER was elected eighth Club President.

The Senior Party for Brighton High School students was held at Irondequoit Country Club.

The first Rotary Horse Show to benefit  Camp Haccamo was held at Finger Lakes Race Track, under the guidance of Chairman John Petrossi.

Marc O’Brien won the Rotary Foundation Scholarship at Makerere University College in Kampala, Uganda, Africa.

Andrew Wolfe received the Annual Citizens Award.

GAS-DAY1965-1966

PHILIP KIMMELL was elected ninth Club President.

Richard Gilmore received the Annual Citizens Award.

Brighton “Bunnies” collect for Easter Seal Drive.

6,000 gallons of gasoline were pumped at “Gas Day.”

The Senior Party held at Perkins Swim Club for Brighton High School students.

The Club moved its meeting place from the Brighton Bowl to Pilgrims Landing Restaurant.