GIVING BRIGHTON HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS A YEAR-LONG EXPERIENCE IN ANOTHER COUNTRY, AND FOREIGN STUDENTS A YEAR-LONG EXPERIENCE HERE.
There’s no better way to develop a full appreciation for what we have here, and what people in other cultures have than to spend a year as an exchange student in another country. The same thing goes for exchange students coming here from other countries. It can be an indelible, defining experience that gives all parties involved— students, host families and Rotary Club members— a better appreciation for the world in which we live. And from a Rotary perspective, this experience in a place a world apart is key to promoting global understanding.
Little wonder that the Rotary Club of Brighton has been sponsoring outbound and inbound students for 48 years. Starting in 1967, when the Club sponsored Elissa Bell, its first outbound exchange student to attend school in Brighton, England. That same year, Sally Cuttress from Brighton, England, was the Club’s first inbound student to attend Brighton High School. The tradition continued from there, with many Club members enjoying the benefits of hosting one of these exceptional young people.
Exchange students the Club has sponsored and hosted.
- 1967— Elissa Bell, outbound (England)
- 1968— Sally Cuttress, inbound (England)
- 1985— Gracinha Colozio, inbound (Brazil)
- 1987— Mieke Coe, outbound
- 1988— Vivienne Wilson, inbound (New Zealand)
- 1991— Sarah Davis, outbound
- 1993— Nadia Moosa, inbound (South Africa)
- 1994— Devrim Altinoz, inbound (Turkey)
- 1996— Kiran King, inbound (Austrailia)
- 1997— Jane Forward, outbound (England)
- 1999— Sami Mishra, inbound (India) and Laura Mello, inbound (Brazil)
- 2002— Priyanka Gulati, inbound (India) and Sally Clark, inbound (Australia)
- 2005— Suprawee Pongthongcharoen, inbound (Thailand)
- 2006— Vickie Walsh, outbound (Belgium) and Will Blevins outbound (Spain) and Miri Swarosky,
- 2007— Francesca Pani, inbound (Italy) and Margo Blevins, outbound (Germany)
- 2008— Camille Adam, outbound (Belgium)
- 2009— Rahul Kapoor, inbound (India)